Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011
Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Monday, April 11, 2011

Working Mom

With a handful of classes left at UAB, and a baby due just next Friday, I have been seriously asking myself how I'm going to handle finishing my classes, a new baby, and then a career.  Of course, by the time I begin my career, Ethan will be nearly two years old, but we plan to have three children, so I may be pregnant again.  Life can be hard.  There are always unexpected things that come up.  Dealing with the emotions of being a wife, a mom, and a career woman are not going to be easy, and by age 27, I have learned that life does not go as I plan it.  There is no sense in me planning the next five years of my life on paper.  The best I can hope for is to achieve most of my goals and keep most of my sanity.
I found an interview of Fox News Correspondant, Jennifer Griffin, who just so happens to have my last name, and my career path.  She also recently gave birth to her third child.       http://www.parents.com/parenting/work/stay-home/juggling-work-and-family/
 The interview is about juggling her career and her family.  One of the questions was "How are you adjusting?"  She says,"... the key to getting through the initial three weeks is to have low expectations."  What she means by this is that we shouldn't expect it to be picture perfect:  "You're lucky if you have time to shower," she says.  Of course she has three children and a highly demanding career, so with one newborn and no work to demand my time, I should be able to shower daily.  I have the concerns of a first time mom. 
It's overwhelming for me to think about how I am going to do everything.  I am overwhelmed!  I know I don't have three children and work for Fox News, but I also don't have a full-time caregiver or 1/4 the salary of a Fox News Correspondant.  I could tell you that reading her story helped and made me feel like I can do it, but it didn't.  I'm nervous.  My dreams are coming true, but it's scaring me to death.  I wish I knew everything was going to be okay.  Actually, I wish life would stop throwing us lemons and sour tomatoes.  We want the best for Ethan, and I want to protect him in this messed up world we live in.  I wonder "How am I going to do that while I'm at work."  We need to have a stable home life with bills paid, food on the table, and things we are proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment