Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011
Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Saturday, March 12, 2011

2nd Trimester

The second trimester of pregnancy is considered the best trimester.  This normally is the time when any nauseousness that was experienced during the first three months goes away.  Women are also more energized in the second trimester, and because they begin to show, there is more excitement about the pregnancy.  Other people begin to notice that you are pregnant, and it begins to feel real to you.  Sometimes women are still nauseous in the second trimester, but it is different for everyone.  Like I said earlier, I was not even sick in the first three months.  Some of the following information was gathered from the website.. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy/PR00018.  But I will again give my personal experiences. 
  • Larger breasts-  This should be expected... and I welcomed it.  I didn't enjoy the nipple tenderness and pain. Again, lets be mature. I'm aware I may have some young readers, but there is no other way to say it.  Your nipples may hurt.  It felt like a needle was poking through mine.  The cold weather made them hurt more.  It wasn't unbearable, and no reason to complain or avoid pregnancy in the least.  Sadly there seems to be more negative information than positive.  This is a great side effect that you and your husband will enjoy.
  • Growing belly-   Some people talk so much about weight gain, and how their bodies will never be the same again, etc.  I love having a pregnant belly.  It is cute.  I began to be even more confident about my body.  It is nice to eat and not think about weight gain to an obsession because pregnant women need to eat healthy, and often.  They need to gain some weight.  This does not give you an excuse to eat too much or eat unhealthy.  Pregnant women typically need only 300 more calories a day.  But please don't count your calories... and don't diet during pregnancy.  Just make better selections.  And again, drink plenty of water.  Juice is good too, but dilute it with water because it contains an excess of sugar. Sure, babies only weight on average 7 or 7 1/2 pounds when they are born healthy.. boys are typically larger...  but a pregnant woman at normal starting weight should gain 30 pounds.  More if you are underweight and less if you are overweight to begin with.  Oh, and my husband thinks I'm as sexy as ever pregnant.  He loves me, and has no complaints about any weight gained.  He encourages me to eat healthy, exercise, and have dessert, fries, or burgers if I want them.  We want a healthy baby boy, not one born of a mother who is afraid of gaining a little weight.  Exercise is important during pregnancy, but in moderation.  Talk to your doctor!  Women who are a good weight and who exercise typically have easier deliveries. 
  • Braxton Hicks contractions-  I didn't feel anything that felt like a contraction.  Maybe it occured without me knowing about it.  These shouldn't be painful.  When I went for walks, I would sometimes cramp in my side a little, or have to sit down because of pressure on my belly.  If you feel painful contractions it could be a sign of preterm labor.  In that case you should talk to your OB. 
  • Skin changes-  The skin around your nipples will likely darken.  The pregnancy line appears that goes from the top of your belly all the way down.  This is pretty neat looking.  I'm not really sure why skin darkens.  Some women develop a pregnancy rash, or have dark skin in other places, but I didn't experience either of these. 
  • Stretch marks-  Nope!  I know I'm lucky, but I haven't had the first stretch mark, and I am 34 weeks pregnant as of yesterday.  Exercise and eating right go a long way!  So does not worrying about it.  If you get stretch marks during pregnancy, it is okay.  These are the marks of motherhood, and most women welcome it because motherhood is such a blessing.  Your husband will love you regardless.  My belly started to itch a little too.  I put on Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Butter and Vitamin E skill oil every day.  Keeping your skin well moisturized is the best bet to preventing stretch marks and itchy skin, but it does not prevent it.  Thin, heavy, and normal size women get them.
  • Nasal and gum problems-  This was really a problem for me.  Your gums are more sensitive during pregnancy, so mine bled a little while brushing my teeth.  I have a healthy mouth, so it wasn't painful, and they didn't swell... but this could happen whether you mouth is healthy or not.  It is caused by increased blood circulation and it is not a big deal.  Seeing a dentist is recommended during pregnancy.  So is getting the flu shot.  This will not hurt you or the baby, and keep sickness at bay is the best thing to do.  Your body is working hard to make a person. 
  • Dizziness-  One morning in the shower I felt so dizzy that the room became bright and I couldn't see anything but lights.  I came out of the shower and nearly fainted.  I dropped to the floor slowly and sat there with my head down for a few minutes.  I had actually eaten a bowl of cereal prior to taking a shower.  I immediately called my OB after gaining to composure to be able to do so.  I was on the way to class.  The nurse said to make sure I eat, drink water, and check my blood pressure.  This is normal.  I was most likely dehydrated.  I checked my blood pressure, which was perfect.  She said there was no reason to go in.  I didn't faint or pass out, but it was not a good feeling.  Quick movements and over exertion cause dizziness and the lightheaded feeling. 
  • Leg cramps-  Yes, and charlie horse.  Charlie Horse is the tightening of your muscles and it is painful.  It happened to me a night a number of times...  2nd trimester and 1st.  After your uterus enlarges, there is pressure on your veins that run through your legs.  Stretching, exercising, potassium, and drinking water help.  When I stretch throughout the day and before bed, I don't have leg cramps.
  • Shortness of breath-  Pregnancy takes your breathe away.   Your blood has to carry more oxygen to the baby.  You have to breathe in more deeply.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment