Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011
Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pregnancy Sleep and Dreams

This first trimester of pregnancy really wears you out.  According to an article on babycenter.com.. http://www.babycenter.com/0_pregnancy-sleep-by-trimester_7512.bc   the sleep inducing hormone, progesterone, causes pregnant women in the first trimester to feel exhausted.  I remember being so tired throughout the day.  I had to take naps to help with the exhaustion.  I did begin waking up a few times at night to go to the bathroom.  There is more pressure on your bladder even early on in pregnancy.  It is definately more difficult to sleep now than it was 8 months ago.  Now I wake up in the middle of the night because my legs are cramping, I have to use the bathroom, or get a glass of water.  I also think I haven't slept as deeply because I do less activity throughout the day, so at night I am not as tired.  It's more difficult to move around.  I'm only taking 3 classes this semester, and the only exercise I get is when I go for an hr. long walk about 5x a week.  I have also had headaches that disturb my sleep.
It is also much less comfortable to sleep lying on your left side all the time.  I miss being able to flip over so easily and switch positions.  Doing homework and work on the computer is easier when I'm able to lie on my stomach.  I'm going to enjoy doing that again very soon!
We bought a body pillow during the second trimester to make sleep easier for me.  It helps, but it still isn't as nice as sleeping when I'm not pregnant.  Unisom is a sleep aid that pregnant women can safely take.  We just ran out of the second pill bottle we bought. 
Leg cramps I mentioned earlier are common for pregnant women.  It hurts.  I have had my legs cramp from the calf all the way up to my thighs.  Potassium is supposed to help.  So we keep bananas in the house.  Also, walking, stretching, and warm baths may help.
You can also read on babycenter.com about some of the wild, vivid dreams that pregnant women sometimes have.  I have not been sleeping very well, but I have had some dreams that were strange to me.  I don't remember any of them now.  The following website gives some helpful information about pregnancy dreams:  http://www.babycenter.com/0_vivid-dreams-during-pregnancy_272.bc
Dreams can represent some fears and concerns that go along with being pregnant and having a new baby.  My mother-in-law said said she had a disturbing dream.  The only disturbing dream I can think of is that I ate something or took something that was bad for the baby and I was afraid he was going to die.  I immediately woke up.  I really hope I don't have another scary dream.  All of these worries are preparing me for worries parents have.  I'm already concerned about the things he is going to face in life, but we will pray that he will make Christ the Lord of his life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment