Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011
Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Monday, March 28, 2011

Baby Movements

I love feeling Ethan move in my belly.  It is the best experience of pregnancy for me.  I felt him for the first time around 19 weeks.  These first movements are called quickening.  It's hard to tell at first whether this is the baby moving or just something funny you ate for lunch.  At that time, Ethan was doing all sorts of flips and turns.  He had much more room to exercise.  I actually remember the first time I felt Ethan move was the morning of the Iron Bowl.  I was so excited.  I called Kris, who was working that morning, and sent a text to my Dad to tell them.  He said that he was excited about the Iron Bowl.  I completely agree!  Kris and I are both huge Auburn fans, so Ethan must have felt the excitement, even inside the womb.  I probably made Ethan do a lot of flips that day.  The Iron Bowl was such a close game, and Auburn was losing during the first half.  I was yelling at the tv, and jumping up and down, but carefully.  It was just really hard to hold back the emotion during that game.
The next milestone for me was when I could see Ethan move.  I was in the bathtub with hot water and saw him kicking.  I called Kris and said, get back in and get the camera.  He wanted me to videotape it for him.  It would have been hard to see.  Ethan didn't even weigh a pound at 19 weeks.  He was more like 9 or 10 ounces.  It's hard to believe that I could see him kick when he was so small.
Movements over the last 18 weeks have been enjoyable for Kris and I.  It is comforting to feel and see him move, especially when I begin to worry that something may be wrong.  I have even worried that he was not alive anymore.  I know I'm not the only one with those concerns during pregnancy.  One morning at church I was so concerned that my hose were cutting off his air supply that I went to the bathroom and decided to do without hose during church.  I didn't like my pale legs, but it was better than being worried that my son was uncomfortable and the hose was hurting or even killing him. 
Baby kicks and movements now feel like my stomach is trembling.  It's like an earthquake in my belly.  It doesn't hurt.  I haven't felt any feet in my ribs or anything like that.  The uncomfortable part is when he shoves into my bladder and I feel like I'm going to pee in my pants.  That doesn't feel good, but it doesn't hurt.  I love every time I feel him.  His head is down now, and his feet are up.  It's really cool when I feel him poking his bottom out.  I think one or two times his movements hurt me.  He weighs over 6 pounds now, and he is taking up more room.
Kris loves feeling Ethan move and kick.  he is sometimes amazed seeing something move from one side to the other underneath my skin.  He rubs my belly, talks to him, and reads him books sometimes.  When I rub my belly, or Kris rubs my belly, Ethan will move more.  Kris is going to tell you his perspective:
Hi I'm Kris. When I see Ethan move in my wife's stomach it really puts it all in perspective for me.  As a first-time father its kind of weird to think about a baby growing inside my wife, but at the same time it's cool. I remember the first time I felt him move it was so awesome.  Of course with the excitement of having a child comes worries about how I am going to raise him.  Every little thing can affect him.  I think these are worries that every father has.   I know that my wife will be a great mother.  With a mother like that I can't fail!!!!!!!!! I told you he was a wonderful hubby!  I'm feeling our baby move right now.  My lower belly where his head is was shaking.  It really is the best experience, and I'm blessed to have such a fun and loving husband to share it with.                                                                                                

1 comment:

  1. This is very moving, and bringing back memories of my own pregnancy. I love reading about these movements. It is amazing to think that little Ethan will be out and about and getting into everything in a year! So excited to read more, especially when Ethan is born. Birth is an amazing thing and should be appreciated as such.

    ReplyDelete