Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011
Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Friday, March 25, 2011

36 Weeks

Today I had the 36 week OB visit.  It was originally scheduled for Wednesday, but a few complications that made me 40 minutes late caused me to reschedule for this morning.  I met the last doctor that I had not met yet, Dr. Adcock.  I was a little unsure about this visit because I knew he would have to "check" me to find out if I'm dilated yet, and also do the Strep B test.  Well it was an interesting way of introducing ourselves.  I would have rather met this doctor earlier.  I will see my OB, Dr. Campbell, next week. 
If the test for Strep B comes back positive, they will have to give me antibiotics during labor.  I don't think it will be, but the test is necessary for all pregnant women as Strep B is harmful for newborns passing through the birth canal.
Well, I'm not dilated.  I didn't expect to be, but it would be nice to know that he is closer to being ready for birth.  The baby is still head down.  The doctor touched his head.  It was weird.  Ethan was squirming around this afternoon after the visit.  I talked to him for a minute and said, "That was weird wasn't it?  Someone poking you in the head."  I love him.
At 36 weeks, our baby should weight about 6 lbs.  The Pregnancy Babble website says our baby is the size of 3 pomegranates.  Every week I get to see what fruit Ethan is the size of.  Ethan is probably closer to 6 1/2 lbs.  I have gained a whopping total of 48 lbs.  Wow!  You would think with only a 7-8 lb newborn, pregnant women wouldn't gain that much.  Well, this is something I grabbed from http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

Baby
8 pounds
Placenta
2-3 pounds
Amniotic fluid
2-3 pounds
Breast tissue
2-3 pounds
Blood supply
4 pounds
Fat stores for delivery and breastfeeding
5-9 pounds
Uterus increase
2-5 pounds
Total
25 to 35 pounds

Ok, and still I have gained 13 lbs, to date, more than the recommended weight gain for an average size woman, which I am.  I started this pregnancy with an average BMI.  Underweight women should gain more and overweight women should gain less than the recommended 25-35 lbs. 
I have been a lot less active, and have been eating a lot more fast food and chocolate than I normally would.  I have made some really healthy choices, but also some bad choices.  I'm really upset about it, so my husband will have to watch the baby while I exercise this summer, and I'll need to revert back to my healthy eating habits. 
I am getting really ready to have the baby.  I don't want to be pregnant anymore.  I am sore at night.  I waddle like a duck when I walk, none of my clothes fit, and I want to hold my baby.  I know Kris is ready too.  We are probably both a little concerned too.  This is our first baby, and what is the adjustment going to be like.  I know we will be fine, but I really wonder what the new expenses are going to be.  You don't really know until you get there. 
Well, I just remembered that I was going to go to get a pediatrician today at Greenvale.  They are only a minute from where we live, and they were recommended to us by one of the OBs at OBGYN South at Brookwood Medical Center.  I am convinced that this is the best practice in Birmingham!  They are a Christian facility.  There are bible verses on the walls of every room.  This is comforting to me.  I have not gotten much accomplished today, so I better start.  I have had the worst anxiety and headaches, so I have to lie down and sleep or just relax to make myself feel better.  I hope this goes away, because it is really disrupting my daily life.  If I still feel like this after Ethan is born, I am going to talk to a doctor about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment