Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011
Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nesting

This weekend, and on previous occasions, I have satisfied my incredible urge to organize and clean to the point of exhaustion and sore muscles.  Sunday Kris drove to Cullman to pick up our brand new bedroom furniture.  It looks so good in our apartment.  I couldn't be more happy about it.  We have a queen size bed, dresser with a mirror, another dresser, and a nightstand.  It's wood, and now it feels like we actually have a nice set of furniture instead of things just thrown in our bedroom.  I woke up this morning thinking I was in someone else's house.  I decided to stay home and get things done around the house while Kris was in Cullman.  I wouldn't have been able to help with anything, so I was more productive at home.  Leftover from the previous week's laundry, there was a pile of shirts and pants on the couch that needed to be ironed.  Check!  There was four loads of laundry in the hamper to be washed, dried, and ironed.  Check!  Dishes in the dishwasher and piled in the sink needed to be washed and dried.  Check!
Well if this alone didn't take all day long, I also managed to go through two or three boxes of things we still had lying around from the move and put them away.  I picked up some computer parts Kris has for work in the house and moved those to storage.  I removed the sheets from our bed and went through we had in the headboard so it would be easier to put the new bed in our bedroom.  I organized a few things in the nursery.  Cleaned the kitchen counters and the bathrooms.  I'm 9 months pregnant now, so doing all of this completely wore me out.  Especially since I did it all after going on an hour long walk around the neighborhood, then taking a warm bath.
Kris faced a few problems in Cullman trying to get our new furniture to us.  The Excursion had a flat tire, so they had to get a new tire.  There were some other issues, and they ended up not making it back until 9pm.  My mother and father-in-law followed Kris and his younger sister to our apartment in Birmingham.  The dresser without the mirror fell off the back of the truck sometime during the trip.  The top and bottom of it broke, but my husband is such a handyman that he was able to repair it and put the TV on top so no one can see the scuffs.  It looks great.  I made some chicken alfredo for everyone to eat when they arrived.  Yesterday we were exhausted.
There is still so much more I want to do before the baby is born, but it just takes longer, and I can't lift anything.  I will have some more cleaning to do:  bathrooms, floors, mirrors, pledge on the furniture, etc.  We need the bookshelf put together so I can put Ethan's books on it and clean out the bottom of his closet.  We now have our old furniture in the living room and it will be taken to my grandmother's house to store this weekend.
The following website talks about maternal nesting.  http://www.pregnancy-calendars.net/nesting.aspx
I don't believe I have had any irrational behaviors, such as those described on the website.  It makes sense to feel the need to clean and organize the house, especially when you are spending more time at home taking pregnancy leave from work or school.  There is a lot to do to prepare for a baby.  As a new mother I want to bring him home with the least amount of worries possible.  We still haven't figured out the car seat, talked to a pediatrician, and added the baby to my insurance plan.  I want these things done before April 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment