Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011
Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bargain Mom

We are finding the best ways to save money.  I have become such a bargain hunter.  I search Craig’s List at least once a week for items we need.  We have found several garage sales and bought some really nice things for next to nothing.  We have two couches, a living room rug, bookcase, antique end table, reclining chair, and dining room table all for less than $500.  Our other living room furniture was the wicker furniture that was in my house growing up.  We found Ethan’s crib and changing table for only $200, bought from a lady who used it for her daughter for only 3 years.  We were given two strollers and two car seats from my brother and a friend who will no longer be using them.  They are still in excellent condition.  They look brand new.
  I have been hunting dollar items in the dollar bins at target and at the Dollar Tree, and have found a nice collection of books for Ethan.  This Christmas, I also racked up at CVS and other stores’ After Christmas Sales.  I found decorations for the house, books, Christmas cards, two teddy bears, and more.  All of it was 75% and even 90% off.  I paid only $90 to a girl who posted baby items on Craigs’ list, and got tons of clothes, blankets, baby shoes, toys, and a bouncy seat.  The clothes she was pricing at only 25 cents to a dollar.  Babies grow out of their clothes so quickly, it just doesn't make sense to buy them all new clothes. 
My husband works on computers, and we came across a garage sale that was ending, and the lady gave us some old computers.  He connected one of the monitors to his laptop, which has a broken screen, and we now have a desktop computer at home.  I have learned the value of Great Value products at Walmart.  I have also learned that the dollar menu items in the drive-thru save us about $30 a week.  That’s two people stopping somewhere to eat about 5 times a week each. 
A girl I know teaches a coupon class.  I missed her first class, and I am looking forward to the next time she teaches this.  Also a drug store class.  These teach us how to find coupons and how to shop at CVS.  She has found some really great deals and coupons.  I have printed out coupons, but still would like to learn her tricks.  With a baby at home, we will be visiting CVS a lot for diapers and medicine, etc.  I can’t wait to start saving money after these classes.
Most of what we think we "need", we can do without.  I don't need manicures, pedicures, highlights, a tanning membership, or a gym membership when I have a free gym to use at UAB.
I have turned saving money into an enjoyable experience.  I love shopping!  Now I know how to buy more and pay less.  I don't feel like my jeans have to be more than $50 to feel good about them.  Saving money, in a way, feels like making money.  I come from a family with expensive taste.  It is hard for me to adjust sometimes, but I have become a bargain addict.  My mom always told us she would do without so we could have things we wanted.  I understand that she would buy really nice things for us and not buy things for herself.  We are spoiled.  I don't really want to copy this because I know how expensive it was for my parents, but I want to treat my children and give them a full life like I have had.  I can't wait  to find more bargains!
If you're not sure how to start saving money, you can get tips from the internet.  Just do a Google search for Bargain mom, saving money, or coupons.  You also have to change your way of thinking and understand the needs of your family should come before your wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment