Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011
Ethan Lane Griffin- born April 29, 2011

Thursday, March 17, 2011

35 Weeks Pregnant

At 35 weeks pregnant, I am getting very close to delivery.  37 weeks is considered full term, and 40 weeks is the amount of time they give you from the date of your last period.  That is something I learned.  I thought it was from the date of conception, but because we don't really know when that is, the OB uses the date of your last period.  As I am sitting here, watching Dr. OZ and thinking about everything that is happening, Lowe's is installing our new washer and dryer.  My grandmother gave this and the rocking chair to us at the baby shower.  It was so unexpected and a wonderful surprise.  I have about 5 loads of laundry waiting.  I will also wash Ethan's clothes this week.  We bought the All, dermatologist recommended detergent.  

Sleeping during the last trimester is difficult.  They recommend sleeping on your left side.  It has something to do with blood flow and cramps.  I feel like Ethan is more comfortable this way too.   At 3b weeks, Ethan is still measuring a week ahead.  The pregnancy email I receive each week from babycenter.com said that he should weight about 5 1/4 lbs. this week.  He probably weighs closer to 6 lbs.  Dr. Campbell, my OB, said on Monday that it feels like he will weigh about 8 lbs. at birth, but really there is no way of telling.  The email also said he is about 18 inches.  He should grow another 2 inches.  

I have started weekly visits to the OB.  I will meet another OB, the only one I have not seen, on Wednesday of next week.  The main concern I have right now is how I will handle finals at UAB and delivering a baby at the same time.  Ethan is due on April 22nd, and my first final is April 28th.  My last final is May 4th.  Dr. Campbell recommended that I talk to my professors about make up exams.  She said it's better for me to take the exams before he is born.  Unless he is three weeks late, I'll be taking the exams with a newborn at home.  That will not happen.  She expects him to be here right on time or a week early.  We also talked about the possibility of inducing a week early because he is measuring ahead and it will be a little easier for me with an extra week before finals.  I would have two weeks after his birth before my first final, which is better than only one week.  I will be breastfeeding, and I need to do this without the use of a bottle for a month before introducing him to bottled breast milk.  I'm concerned he will be hungry while I'm taking a final, and he will have to take a bottle.  I'll have to pump, and he may get confused between the breast and bottle nipple.  Dr. Campbell said her main concern is that I wouldn't do as well, especially if I require more recovery time.  Some women are in and out of the hospital and require very little recovery, while others require a long recovery.  There's always the possibility that I need a C-section, or I could have a tear.  In that case I would not be able to leave home.  This does concern me, but my main concern is still leaving him.  

At 35 weeks, they baby is almost fully developed physically.  He will spend most of his time gaining weight during the next few weeks.  His lungs may not be fully developed.  Preemies born at 35 weeks will likely have some problems and need special care.  While I am ready to begin life with my baby outside of the womb, I want him to be as healthy as possible, so stay put baby Ethan, for at least another 2 weeks!

I have mailed all of the thank you notes after the baby shower.  We still have a few things left to buy.  We need a diaper bag.  We will need some more Desitin for diaper rash, and a breast pump.  Everything seems to be taken care of.  We still have not painted the bedroom, and I hope Kris is able to get some help doing this.  This should only take one Saturday.  I'm really worried about leaving him this fall.  I don't want to leave him with a daycare at all!  It'd be more ideal if I could stay home with him, and have baby number 2 in about two years.  This just wont happen.  I still have about 10 classes left to take at UAB, and these will take 3 or 4 semesters to complete.  The PR program has classes that are only offered once a year, and others that have prerequisites.  They wont allow me to take all of these classes in two semesters.  

I've been a little down about how much weight I gained during pregnancy also.  I have gained 45 pounds and will gain another 5.  I wanted to keep this down to only 30 pounds, but I have been lazy and eating.  I don't feel good, and I will lose it.  I just hope it doesn't take a whole year to wear a size 4 or 6 again.  

This is what I want to happen, if I could plan out the next few weeks.  I want to get all the clothes washed and put away and ironed before the weekend.  I want us to pick out a color for Ethan's bedroom, buy it, and paint the room on Saturday.  While the paint is drying, Kris and I can put together the bookshelf.  Saturday night, after painting, hanging a few things on his wall, and putting Ethan's books away, his room will be complete.  We still have not talked with a Pediatrician, so we would do that immediately next week.  I will call Blue Cross Blue Shield and have Ethan added to my insurance policy.  We will talk to Kris's uncle Tommy and find out if he is able to get us a scholarship for a year of childcare at Covenant Presbyterian Church.  We will get our bags ready for the hospital, and in two weeks everything will be completely ready, and my water will break a week earlier than his due date.  I'll have A's in all of my classes, and I'll have an easy labor and be able to take finals on time while Ethan is sleeping with a family member watching him.  This could all happen, but I'm sure we will face a few more hurdles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment